Pempek is a delicacy from Palembang, South Sumatra. It is made of fish and sago flours and served together with a dark, rich sauce called cuko. Cuko is made from brown sugar etc, you can see my recipe before how to made Cuko Pempek.
There are many varieties of Pempek. The most famous one is Pempek Kapal Selam (big like submarine), which is made from a chicken egg wrapped within the Pempek dough and then deep-fried. This type pempek contains of high vitamin, protein, mineral, and carbohydrate content, is the most nutritious variety.
According to some stories, Pempek had been already in Palembang since 16th century when Chinese traveller came to the region. Around 1617 there was an Apek (Chinese slang for an old man) who lived near Musi river. He noticed an abundance of fish caught by the local fishermen. During that period, most of the people simply just fried and grilled their fish. The old Chinese Man then tried other alternative by adding fish meat with sago flour and other spices, which he then sold around the village on his bicycle. The people referred to this old man as ‘pek-apek’. The food is known today as Empek-empek or Pempek Palembang. (tastyindonesiafood.com)
First we made Biang for pempek, you can use Biang to made Siomay too. Biang made the texture of pempek or Siomay come soft n more delicious.
Biang Ingredients :
- 50gr wheat flour
- 2 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic, blended
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp glutamate (optional)
- 400ml water.
- Biang Steps:Boil the water using saucepan until boiling n then add salt, sugar, garlic n glutamate then turnoff the stove and add wheat flour and mix it, the last add oil then mix again.
- 1 kg Spanish Mackerel Fish (fillet & grinded)
- 1kg Sagoo/Tapioca flour
- Mix Fish with Sagoo n add Biang, mix them well.
- If you want to making Adaan Pempek you can add shallot (blended) n green onion (sliced) n mix with pempek dough n shape ball.
- if you want to making Lenjer, you only need Pempek dough n shape long.
- If you want to making Kapal selam Pempek, you can add egg wrapped within the Pempek dough.
- Boil the water using saucepan until boiling then cook the Pempek until cooked and put the pempek on the plate witout wate (set aside).
- Heat the oil in the fryingpan then deep fried Pempek.
- Slice it n serving with Cuko.