Rojak (Malaysian and Singaporean spelling) or Rujak (Indonesian spelling) is a traditional fruit and vegetable salad dish commonly found in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. The term “Rojak” is Malay for mixture.
The typical Indonesian fruit rujak consists of slices of assorted tropical fruits such as jambu air (water apple), pineapple, raw mangos, bengkoang (jicama), cucumber, kedondong, and raw red ubi jalar (sweet potato). Sometimes Malang variants of green apple, belimbing(starfruit), and jeruk Bali (pomelo) are added. The sweet and spicy-hot bumbu rujak dressing is made of water, gula jawa (palm sugar), asem jawa (tamarind), ground sauteed peanuts, terasi (shrimp paste), salt, bird’s eye chili, and red chili pepper. All of the fruits are sliced to bite-size, and put in the dish. The bumbu rujak or thick sweet spicy rujak dressing is poured on the fruit slices. An addition of sambal garam powder (simple mixture of salt and ground red chilli) is put on side as the alternative for those who love a salty taste for their rujak. The Javanese people call this kind of rujak as lotis.(wikipedia.org)
Today i will write Rujak Serut this literally means “shredded rujak”, and is another variant of Indonesian fruit rujak. As with rujak tumbuk, the ingredients are similar to Indonesian fruit rujak, with the exceptions that the fruits are not cut into bite-sized pieces, but shredded into a roughly grated consistency.
Sauce Ingredients n Steps:
- 100g gula Jawa (palm sugar)
- 10g tamarind pulp, soaked in 1/2 cup warm water and strained
- 2 long red chillies
- 2 bird chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon terasi (shrimp paste) (Optional, if you alergic with Shrimp skip it)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- With a mortar and pestle, pound all the sauce ingredients into a smooth sauce.
Fruits Ingredients n steps:
- 2 Guava.
- 1 Jicama.
- 3 Green/Malang Apple.
- 1 Cucumber (Optinal, if you dont have a problem with Hypotention)
- Shredded all fruits in a Bowl.
- 1 Pomelo (Peeled it n put the pulpy into bowl)
- Serve rujak with mix all fruits n sauce n put in plate..
- Have a nice cooking all..