Pastel is the name given to different typical dishes of many countries of Hispanic or Portuguese origin.
In Indonesia pastel refer to pie of crust made of thin pastry filled with meat (usually chicken) mixed with vegetables (chopped carrot and beans), rice vermiceli and sometimes egg, then deep fried in vegetable oil. It is consumed as snack and commonly sold in Indonesian traditional markets. The similar North Sulawesi version replace thin flour pie crust with bread and filled with spicy cakalang (skipjak tuna) is called panada.(wikipedia.org)
Ingredients n Steps:
- 400 gr Abon (shredded meat that has been boiled and fried, chicken/beaf/fish)
- 250 gr shallot (cut into pices n fried n crushing)
- Mix Abon n fried shalot until combine (filling), if you like spicy you can add chili powder.
- Put 5gls wheat flour to bowl, 2tbsp sugar n 1/2tbsp salt then stir it well then add 2 egg yolk n 1 egg white, 5tbsp margarine (heat it n let it cool until room temperaature), 110gr coconut milk (milk or soy milk) and 100ml water. Stir it until soft dough n cover the bowl with napkin n let it for 30mnts.
- Cut a little piece of dough make it circle (diameter 4 or 5cm) n put the filling in the middle n fold the dough to close in the filling.
- Moisten the edge and fold over the dough. You can use a fork or crimp the edge to seal the pasty. You get the spiraled edge by folding over a little section at a time.
- Deep fry the pasties at 170°C/340°F until golden brown.Put in the jar. have a nice cooking all.