Candil – glutinous rice flour cake with sugar and grated coconut (wikipedia.org)
Indonesians love sweet for dessert. There are many kind of traditonal sweets across the country. Bubur Candil is one of many varieties of Indonesian porridge. It is made of glutinous rice flour (tepung ketan) then shape it like small ball and dip in coconut sugar porridge. It’s sweet yet coconut milk makes the taste savoury.(tasty Indonesia)
- 200 g white glutinous rice flour (tepung ketan)
- 175 ml warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1kg sweet potato (boil it until boiled then peeled n mashed it) (Optional)
- 800 ml water
- 200 g coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 Pandan leaf
Coconut Milk sauce
- 250 ml think coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 Pandan leaves
- 25 g rice flour & 25 g white glutinous rice flour (tepung ketan), mix with 50 ml water
1. Make the balls (candil) : mix white glutinous rice,salt n mashed sweet potato (if you don’t use sweet potato then you can slowly add water and knead using hand. Stop adding water when you already can form the mixture into balls.)Shape it like a small ball.
2. Make the porridge : Boil the water with coconut sugar and pandan leaf. When it’s boiling drop the balls into it until the balls are floating to the top of water level then remove from the heat.
3. Make the coconut milk sauce : boil the coconut milk together with pandan leaves and salt. When it’s boiling pour the the mixture of rice flour and white glutinous rice flour then stir it until boiled n turn off the stove.
4. Serve the porridge with coconut milk sauce.